Feed on

You know what sucks?

When your dog steals your breakfast, which could prove toxic to her, so you have to make her barf. That sucks!

This morning, I was eating my breakfast at the coffee table in the living room, because I had started to dig through some boxes of paperwork I wanted to organize, and I had it spread out in the living room. I made myself a bowl of oatmeal with raisins in it, and was eating as I sorted.

Then, the phone rang. Of all things, it was a fund-raiser call. In the time it took for me to tell them that I couldn’t give this year because I’m out-of-work, the dog swooped in and polished off my food. Yep, I forgot to take the bowl with me or put it up, and the dog, being a scavenger, did what dogs do.

I remembered having heard that raisins were poisonous to dogs so I called my vet to find out what to do. Fortunately, they were open this morning and he explained to me that feeding her two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide should make her vomit it all back up. I dutifully squirted two tablespoons worth of peroxide down her gullet, and minutes later she began to retch and heave and horked up her breakfast and mine too. I’m pretty sure the dog was entirely emptied out, but I’ll be keeping a close eye on her. The vet said that if she becomes lethargic or begins vomiting again, to take her to the emergency veterinarian.

Because I acted quickly, she should be okay, but she’s on close surveillance for the next couple of days.

So, it sucks to have to make your dog barf (and to clean up all of that barf) but it rocks to have such a helpful vet.

super-furry monster
Wish the little varmint well please!

6 Responses to “You know what sucks?”

  1. themis says:

    This only affects some dogs. Most have no issue.

  2. Meetzorp says:

    Well, I certainly didn’t want to take any chances. I’m awfully fond of the rotten little varmint, you know.

    Right now she’s acting just fine – as ornery as you please, but I’m keeping an eye on her all the same. Darn dog!

  3. melissa says:

    Oh no!! She totally pulled a SAGE! Hope she’s OK! LOVED LOVED LOVED the video and pics in your earlier post from Christmas Eve – those two are so great together. What fun!! Happy New Year!!!

  4. meetzorp says:

    Yep, she’s perfectly okay now!

    She’s back to being full of orneriness and mischief. Actually, she was back to her normal self not so very long after the peroxide dose. Dogs don’t seem to think much of throwing up, and she evidently didn’t retain enough of the raisin-laden oatmeal to do her any damage. Thank GOODNESS!

  5. styro says:

    For what it’s worth, my mom’s stupid ass dogs have been eating the dried grapes off her grape vines for AGES, and all of them thus far have died of old age. Dogs are stupid and mostly invincible, thankfully.

  6. Meetzorp says:

    In retrospect I realized that Ruby had probably eaten some of the grapes off our vines this past summer. Next year the little brat won’t get a chance, though; I’m making them into JAM and she can’t have any!

    Dang dog!

Leave a Reply